LiterateMama

Monday, July 17, 2006

Not Technically a Book Review: Nightmares and Dreamscapes


Did I mention I'm a Stephen King fan? Have adored his work since 1989 or so?

I read Nightmares & Dreamscapes back in 1995 when it came out in paperback and was given to me as a gift by one of my graduating daughters. It's King's 3rd collection of stories. I confess I actually only truly enjoyed about 5 of the stories here--I liked Skeleton Crew and Everything's Eventual much more. But TNT is showing a mini-series (kind of like Twilight Zone) based mostly on the stories in this book, though a few episodes will be taken from other collections.

I loooooved the first episode, Battleground, with William Hurt. Absolutely wonderful. Reminded me strongly of The REd Balloon--if you've seen that, then see this, you'll know why. This episode was directed I think by one of Jim Henson (yes, Kermit's daddy)'s kids.

I hated the second--Crouch End--but then again it was one of the stories I didn't ever want to read again. So maybe my bias just transferred. I dunno, though--Benjie isn't a King fan but he was as hooked as I on Battleground and felt as I did that Crouch End was too messy, too arty, and had actors acting badly.

This week's episode I await anxiously--it's based on one of my favorites in the book (The End of the Whole Mess). And the other episode, with William Macy, can't be half-bad!

I generally hate any movie or tv adaptation of Stephen King's work. His work is highly adaptable but I think the ones that have been done have been unlucky enough not to get the kind of respect and attention to detail that they deserve. But this series is very promising!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home