LiterateMama

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Whitethorn Woods



by Maeve Binchy

I loooove Maeve Binchy. I know her work seems very lightweight, but how can one sneer at writing that usually brings a smile to my face? Her characters are never very complex or surprising. But reading her is like having a massage--very relaxing, very comforting.

I wasn't as excited as I normally am to discover that she had a new book. I was soooo disappointed with her last, "Night of Rain and Stars." That book really had the feel of something dashed off to complete a book contract! (This to me is one of the greatest sins an otherwise wonderful writer can commit.)

I was so happy though to read Whitethorn Woods. This is a lot like one of my other favorite Binchys--Evening Class, a straightforward story built on a cast of characters whose histories she explores. Whitethorn Woods, in Rossmore, is faced with the possibility of destruction in the name of progress--a move is on to build a highway, which would solve a lot of the city's traffic issues, but risks destroying the shrine to St. Ann. Many people have been touched by this saint, and so there is a very real dilemma for the people of the town.

The book is in large part a collection of story dyads--people who've been affected one way or another by the saint or her shrine, telling two sides of their story. It was wonderful to get to know these characters a little--particularly Neddy, Maureen, Helen, Becca, and a few others. While the book doesn't have a lot in terms of conflict or plot, the little stories about a bunch of different people were a fun, easy read. I got emotionally invested in a few of the them, even if in some you could see the ending a mile away.

There was never any doubt in my mind that the shrine would stay safe. Plus, one of the best things in Maeve Binchy's world is that there is always justice--everyone gets what's coming to them.

Thanks, Maeve--this was a delightful read; I'm sure I'll pick it up again in the future when I'm looking for some comfort!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home