LiterateMama

Monday, December 04, 2006

The Thirteenth Tale



This book defied all my expectations. I was engrossed by Ms. Vida Winter's autobiography, as told to the solitary Margaret Lea.

I was so focused on the characters that I didn't get to an "aha" moment at all, but was blindsided by the twists in the tale.

Ms. Vida Winter is Britain's most celebrated writer, now in her winter years. She is ready and eager at last to "tell the truth" about her life--whereas in previous healthy years she spun yarn after yarn to would-be biographers. And the truth of her life is as exciting as the tales she is renowned for, involving a strange family, twins, ghosts, and tragedy. With the task of setting the truth of Ms. Winter's life, Margaret comes to resolution about her own family and tragedy.

Now if only I could be motivated to read Calamity Physics as quickly as I read this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home