LiterateMama

Monday, April 02, 2007

Julie & Julia


by Julie Powell

My friend Ginger recommended this book to me maybe about a year ago. I was intrigued by her recommendation but for some reason never felt compelled to put this on my list of requests from the local library. And then I chanced upon it a few visits back and decided to pack it into the stroller with the other 23 books already in it.

I am so glad I did!

I am certain there are countless of people out there who followed Julie on her year-long quest to make every single recipe from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking v.1 through Julie's blog (which, wonderfully enough, is still up.) But I am so happy she got an offer to publish her culinary adventure in book form. That Julie never made it as an actress (because she is such a lovely writer). That she hated her job as a temp enough, and was ambivalent enough about procreation, to want to do something to distract her and give her life some direction. That she chose to conquer Julia Child's cookbook--that never would have occurred to me!! (And believe me, I know all about wanting a Project to provide me with distraction and direction.)

I am no fan of French cooking, at least not restaurant-style--I haven't eaten in many French places but I do find the emphasis on presentation and theater over-the-top. I like my meals simple and tasty--they don't have to be plated nicely. REading J&J almost made me want to replicate the project myself. Or at least pick up a copy of MtAoFCv1 and try some of the recipes. At least those that don't involve aspic.

I loved this story because

--prior to the project, Julie wasn't much of a cook. And then she managed to educate herself pretty thoroughly about food and cooking--she deboned her own poultry, and cooked things I've never even attempted!! (Though now I am especially tempted to try making the calves' liver she mentions toward the end.)

--she did it all in a crappy New York apartment kitchen, which sounds way worse than any kitchen I've ever worked in. At least I've never had frozen water pipes (KOW) or maggots. I desperately want counter space in my kitchen, but I do pretty well otherwise.

--you get to know Julie and Eric, and the family members and friends who grace the book...so it almost felt to me like I was reading an excellent bit of fiction with well-developed characters!

The one thing about the book I didn't like were the fictional(?) musings on different episodes in Julia Child's life that you find between the chapters. I tried, but found my eyes glazing over every time. I can't explain it!

Bravo, Julie Powell. I am so glad that your culinary success led to literary (and I hope apartment) glory. I look forward to your next adventure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home