LiterateMama

Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Whole World Over



I know Julia Glass' first novel, Three Junes, was much acclaimed, but I've not read it. I never got past the first chapter! I expected that to happen with her newest book. But I was hooked from the beginning.

I didn't think it would take me so long to finish this though--it's under 500 pages but the type size has got to be 6. It took me about 9 days!

The Whole World Over tells the story of New Yorkers (and one Connecticut-er) in the roughly year-and-a-half before 9-11. There's Greenie, a pastry chef, married to Alan, a shrink, with one son, George. She decamps to New Mexico to be private chef to the governor, leaving Alan behind. There's Walter, Greenie's good, gay friend. There's Saga, the Connecticut-based animal lover. Julia Glass tells the big and small of their lives before 9-11 changes them or forces them to choose or opens their eyes or all of the above.

I enjoyed the book very much though doubt I'll read it again (that font size!!!). The characters came alive. I feel like I could walk down Manhattan's Bank Street and really sit in Walter's Place (his restaurant) or browse in his neighbor Fenno's book store. I appreciated Greenie's torment and guilt and Alan's professional ennui.

I loved how Julia Glass left some mysteries unresolved almost till the end. Particularly the events that led to Saga's circumstances. And how she'll backtrack in the middle of the present then jump back.

It's generally a happy book--in spite of 9-11. Maybe especially because of 9-11. Then again, none of the characters lose anyone of utmost importance in the tragedy, but it does wake them up and help them seize the day or value what they already have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home