LiterateMama

Friday, August 04, 2006

24 Karat Kids



I've been reading this on my visits to the bookstore, and finally finished it on Monday while feeding Teo and holding him as he slept. (He wouldn't sleep without my breast and wouldn't let go of it either in his sleep. Perhaps I should be reading a sleep training book!)

I had been enjoying this book immensely in spite of the cheesy title. The fictional foibles of Manhattan's wealthy families are amusing and since one of the authors IS an Upper East Side pediatrician they sound authentic, too. And I liked this book all the way till I hit the last 3 chapters or so.

I feel like the authors had to keep this book to a certain number of pages--they ended the story abruptly, in my view. And they seemed forced to give the story the requisite chicklit happy ending. Only the ending did not feel right to me. A better happy ending would've been the heroine choosing to be alone and happy in her aloneness. It didn't feel right that she ended up with who she ended up, given all her kvetching about him and that he was pretty much a rebound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home