LiterateMama

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lost and Found



I love the premise of this book: teams of two compete against each other as they travel around the world solving puzzles and collecting objects to win a million dollars. It sounds like the only reality show I've followed almost faithfully from the beginning (The Amazing Race! which is truly amazing and which I would love to join. The only season I wasn't into it was when they had families of 4 competing).

The twist is that the book isn't about the game as much as it is about the people who join: There's Laura and her daughter Cassie, who are going through what seems to be more strained-than-average mother-daughter tension; Jeff & Carl, divorced, good-natured brothers; Dallas & Juliet, former child stars trying to crack the world of grownup showbiz, and Justin & Abby, former homosexuals who have renounced their ways and married each other. There were 8 other teams, but when the book opens it's down to 6, and you don't really learn too much about the other 2.

I only picked this book up today and just fell in love with the whole bundle. I couldn't put it down--not just so I could find out who won but also to find whether everyone gets a happy ending. (Almost everyone does, to some degree.) I loved how well-fleshed-out the characters were. Considering how short this book is (less than 300 pages) the author does justice to all her characters--each one feels like someone you might know. Each person's actions and decisions make sense.

I love this book so much I just may buy a copy for myself and try to find Carolyn Parkhurst (she lives in DC!!) so I can get her autograph.

1 Comments:

  • V,
    I am reading Lost and Found right now (abuot 1/2 way through it) based on your review of the book and its availability at Widener. Most of the other books you've written about (that I'm interested in...I just can't do S. King) have about 2 or 3 people waiting to check them out.

    Loving this book - thanks for posting about it.

    I also just finished Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent. You might like it.Liz

    By Blogger Liz & Ryan, at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home