LiterateMama

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Happiness Sold Separately



I can't believe it's taken me forever to finish writing about this book, which I really enjoyed. (but there was the hospital stay, and recovery, and generally feeling that writing one blog was taxing my remaining brain cells.)

I liked it because it drives home the reality that marriage+career+family isn't the modern woman's happy-ever-after any more. It takes a heck of a lot of hard work and luck to make all three possible, let alone even a happy situation, and so many people are challenged in one department or another.

It's been a while since I returned these to the library so I've actually forgotten the characters' names!! The couple in the story are dealing with infertility and failed attempts at assisted reproduction, and it takes a bitter toll on their marriage. He turns to another woman's comfort to deal with her anger and resentment, which is inexcusable but so human. They still love each other, they try to work things out, but eventually she decides that their differences (beyond just the infidelity) will keep them unhappy with each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home